livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] electric car

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] electric car
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:59:39 -0500 (CDT)

I realize that this points out a "possible," but really, is this sustainable?

Aside from the last 50 years or so, when in human history have people moved
themselves about to the tune of 60 miles per day to "work?"

I live 1 3/4 miles from work. Unfortunately I was unable to escape out into
the rural area and seek to work in-place :-(

Lastly, while electric motors are superior in their energy efficiency, we
have to be concerned about what's feeding them. Over 50% of the electricity
generated in the US comes from coal; coal is bad business.

Up here in the PNW they're looking to push a transportation package somewhere
around 17.5 billion US dollars. While touting light rail and other fancy
"energy saving" commuting devices, they're also tossing in a bunch of money
for road expansion (which has put the Sierra Club in opposition citing
greater environmental impacts- greenhouse gases). It's all about
perpetuating the transportation paradigm: and the progressives/liberals jump
on board thinking that this will wash themselves of carbon sin; and on the
other side of the spectrum they're looking for contract handouts and claiming
free-trade and such!

Anytime one advocates to scale up something that's not sustainable we're only
committing ourselves for a big problem down the road (pardon the pun).

If we wanted to reduce greenhouse gasses AND be energy self-sufficient we
could do so by reducing our per-capita energy consumption to 1/4 current
rates. Once at this level, and with decreasing energy, we'd have to slowly
reduce population sizes until we hit true sustainability with being in sync
with what comes to us on a daily basis from the sun.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>

Some weeks ago, an article was in the newspaper about a man in Midland/Odessa
who commutes 60 miles round trip to work. He converted a small car to
electric and it costs him $9 a month for energy. Ken Hargesheimer