livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Growing your own mulch?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Growing your own mulch?
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:25:36 -0700 (PDT)

I have never purchased mulch.  Free hay or straw from the feed stores that they cannot sell.  Spoiled hay from farmers. The horse farms are looking for someone to haul off the bedding out of the stalls. Livestock shows and circuses need someone to haul off the bedding.  Rabbit breeders.  FFA farms at the schools.

Two cover crops that are nationwide is Sudan grass [highest producer of tonnage per acre] and Buckwheat which blooms in 50-60 days.  For legumes suitable for your area, check with the county agent and/or organic gardeners/farmers.

People here in Lubbock rake up all the leaves, bag them and put them in the garbage dumpster unless I get them first.

Ken Hargesheimer