livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] no till

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Tony Marzolino <tmarzolino@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] no till
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 20:03:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Dieter,
How does no-till relieve soil compaction?  I have been told, that at some point in the soils life, it must be plowed.  Or am I missing something, like chisel plowing??

Thanks,
Tony Marzolino

Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com> wrote:
Rhoda,

The answer will depend on what you mean by no-till:

A) mulched gardening à la Ruth Stout,
B) no-till farming with herbicide-killed cover crops, or
C) organic no-till farming with mechanically killed cover
crops.

A) and B) will work everywhere.  C) will work only if
your climate allows continued coverage by cover crop
and/or cash crop during the entire growing season.
Any interruption in your cropping schedule, like during
a dry season, will allow the weeds to come back, and
you have to start from zero.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Rhoda Skavroneck <rhodaf@gate.net> wrote:
Hi,
I live in Central Florida. Do you know if No Till is good here?
Thanks
Rhoda