livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Groveland, FL - no till

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "BirdWalk" <birdwalk@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Groveland, FL - no till
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 14:24:45 -0500

We are in TN now

My view of FL is the sand is there to hold the trees upright and growing is
hydroponics - - maybe not fair but we had groves - all sand not bottom land.

Really we just added mulches and compost on top of whatever spot we were
using for rotational planting

We also build a small 'shelter' topped and sided with shade cloth and put in
mist irrigation over head that we ran several times a day for like 15
minutes. Under this we grew all manner of things right on through the
hottest of the year as well as extended cooler weather crops. Even had a
concord grape vine do well under that few the 10 years we were there with
that set up.