livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Eating Seasonally

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Eating Seasonally
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 08:37:44 -0400

At 12:17 AM 10/6/2007, you wrote:

I'm going to stick my neck out and say seasonal is overrated. Seasonal is
good - eating what's produced when it's fresh picked and all - but we've
long ago learned to preserve certain foods for winter when fresh food in
simply unavailable. Societies have traditionally used root cellars,
storing root crops in the ground or damp sand, salting or drying meats,
pickling, fermenting, and so on.

I don't think the people who are advocating seasonal eating are saying that you shouldn't eat preserved food. Just not produce that has been transported thousands of miles from its origin to places where the fresh product would not be in season.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com