livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Eating Seasonally

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Living on the Land" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Eating Seasonally
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 14:54:05 -0500

I keep reading that a component of local sustainability is to eat seasonally, and that most don't know what that means.  Well, I'm one of them.  Other than what I grow in my garden, which is the same few vegetables that they have in the Farmers' Markets, I don't know what's "in season".  Apparently, there is a seasonality to animals, too, but since I've never grown or studied animals, I know nothing.

Are there regional guides to food seasons?  We can't do the right thing if we don't know what is right.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz