livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Biofuels Offer Cure Worse Than the Disease - OECD

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Biofuels Offer Cure Worse Than the Disease - OECD
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 07:30:36 -0600

I'm not the expert on it but from the reports I've seen the Con lies mainly
in these areas:
1. ethanol is not the pollution free fuel people imagine, either in driving
or its manufacture
2. ethanol produces little energy above what it takes to manufacture it, if
any
3. great amounts of good cropland is being diverted from food crops to
ethanol crops
4. this diversion is driving up food prices, corn, grains, dairy, beef,
poultry, and fertilizer prices
5. ethanol requires vast amounts of tax money to produce

In a debate I'd put the burden of proof on them. With all the tax money and
hype and cropland and processing plants already going into ethanol, where's
the research proving all these things are not really problems - that
ethanol is actually practical, sustainable, and affordable?

Biodiesel? Well, how many tons of french fries do you have to eat to make
enough used vegetable oil to drive for a year? And how about all the trucks
on the highway? And where exactly is that much vegetable oil going to come
from?