livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Biofuels Offer Cure Worse Than the Disease - OECD

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Biofuels Offer Cure Worse Than the Disease - OECD
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 00:37:29 -0500 (CDT)

Leave it to this most excellent group to present this article. I had run
across a precursor article the other day which stated that the report was due
out today, but I couldn't find anything.

But while on this subject... I just signed myself up to be on a discussion
panel on biofuels. Obviously I'm on the "con" side. Funny, but this really
depends on one's view of this word, I'm the _only_ one on this side; there
are several bio-diesel folks (engaged in promoting bio-diesel) on the "pro"
side. And what's even more funny is that fact that I'm not exactly a public
speaker; nor have I any flashy credentials. So, it looks like I'm going to
be facing the wolves, but I feel that someone has to stand up and present
views which are unpopular.

Are there any folks here who would like to help me get myself together
off-line for such a discussion? I've got quite a bit of a collection of info
and am fairly well versed in all of this. My main arguments will be centered
on impacts to food production and soils: the OECD report is really powerful;
so too is a UN FAO study of Brazilian soils (and Brazil's escalating
importation of natural gas). I know a fair amount on ethanol, but nothing
really on bio-diesel, so I need some help here. The panel discussion is part
of a larger sustainable energy fair being held here on October 6th.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA