livingontheland - [Livingontheland] The Hippies Were Right!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] The Hippies Were Right!
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 19:43:41 -0500 (CDT)

What it's all about:

[It was, always and forever, about connectedness. It was about how we are all
in this together. It was about resisting the status quo and fighting
tyrannical corporate/political power and it was about opening your
consciousness and seeing new possibilities of how we can all live with
something resembling actual respect for the planet, for alternative cultures,
for each other. You know, all that typical hippie crap no one believes in
anymore. Right?]

-Mark Nagel
Everett, Wa

Full article at:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/gate/archive/2007/05/02/notes050207.DTL&nl=fix

The Hippies Were Right!
Green homes? Organic food? Nature is good? Time to give the ol' tie-dyers
some respect

By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist

[Excerpt:]

Here's a suggestion, from one of my more astute ex-hippie readers: Instead of
issuing carbon credits so industrial polluters can clear their collective
corporate conscience, maybe, to help offset all the savage damage they've
done to the soul of the planet all these years, these commercial cretins
should instead buy some karma credits from the former hippies themselves. You
know, from those who've been working for the health of the planet, quite
thanklessly, for the past 50 years and who have, as a result, built up quite
a storehouse of good karma. You think?

[...]

You might also just as easily claim that much of the nation's reluctant turn
toward environmental health has little to do with the hippies per se, that
it's taking the threat of global meltdown combined with the notion of really,
really expensive ski tickets to slap the nation's incredibly obese ass into
gear and force consumers to begin to wake up to the savage gluttony and
wastefulness of American culture as everyone starts wondering, oh my God,
what's going to happen to swimming pools and NASCAR and free shipping from
Amazon? Of course, without the '60s groundwork, without all the radical ideas
and seeds of change planted nearly five decades ago, what we'd be turning to
in our time of need would be a great deal more hopeless indeed.