livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Climate Change

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk@allspecies.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Climate Change
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 03:49:55 -0500

Thirty years ago I looked at the possibility that global warming was a real threat. I looked at the best science available that I could find and I decided that there was a crisis and put on a Good Earth Idea Fair for our city to raise awareness. Twenty years ago I started working full time for the environment and put on eight city-wide Earth Days to raise awareness. All this was long before the people with wealth and power understood that environmentalists needed to be marginalized so they could continue raping the land and the global labor pools to feed their greed. I have a vested interest in slowing global warming, my children and grandchildren. So I am biased. We can swim around in their half truths for another thirty years being distracted from following what we know in our hearts is true. Living simply so that others may simply live is where it's at and spending and voting for simple living is too. Next we have to come together with those we like and don't like to create simple communities. That's about as far as I get before my ignorance about the complexity and immensity of the problem brings my planning to a halt. Then I meditate, pray or whatever, to do the next best thing in this moment and hope that a deep ecology kicks in for guidance.

Sure are interesting times. Keep smiling.

Marty