livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Nourishing Traditions (was Re: Bridging the Gap: Garden to Table)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Nourishing Traditions (was Re: Bridging the Gap: Garden to Table)
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:43:15 -0400

In your opinion, is Nourishing Traditions worth acquiring and studying? At
688 pages, it's not trivial. I'm astounded that, although published in 1999,
it's Amazon's #272 best-selling book. Also, there are no cheap, used books
available, which is another way I judge how much people like it.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore

Oh my, yes!! Emphatically. Absolutely. It is *way* more than a cookbook, and will (I predict) revolutionize your thinking between nutrition and health, and what constitutes "best eating" in an age of what Michael Pollan terms "nutritionism" in which we have lost our focus on traditional *foods* and chase will 'o the wisps we call "nutrients."

BTW, thanks for the statistic: I had no idea that Sally's book would be that high in Amazon's sales. That's encouraging--as is the fact Pollan's OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA has been/was on the NYT bestseller list so long.

Procure and read, Mitch--you won't regret it. A treasure trove of good info, an eye-opener, an inducement to critical thought.

~Harvey
--
Harvey in northern VA
www.themodernhomestead.us

"Just a single fill of ethanol for a four-wheel drive SUV uses
enough grain to feed one person for an entire year." ~Lester Brown