livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Nourishing Traditions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Nourishing Traditions
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:39:45 -0700 (PDT)

The Menonite cookbook uses only fresh ingredients.  From scratch only.  www.echonet.org has it but I sure others do. They havd published this for many, many years and new editions come out regularly.

Ken

Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com> wrote:

Nourishing Traditions is an excellent cookbook.  While I haven't done very many of the main dishes in it, I use it for soaked grain breads and lacto-fermented recipes from beet kvass, japanese sauerkraut, ginger ale, to pickled garlic, it's essential to my kitchen and my family's health.

For what it's worth, the lacto-fermented foods directions are worth the price alone!  Kefir smoothies, kombucha tea, excellent chicken stock, beef stock, raw egg and meat recipes soups for alkalizing and after birth/surgery tonics.

I still need to tab my copy as it still takes me too long to find what i'm looking for.  The book also contains a section on feeding babies that is superb and I wish I had it when mine were little.  The child I fed like the govt recommends is my least healthy child, the children I breastfed on demand and didn't feed babyfood to at all (they went from breast to whatever we were eating and I nursed them 18 and 32 months) are the healthiest.  I've known several women with nursing issues whose babies did really well on the raw milk formula recipes from that section.

Eating the way this book teaches has been pivotal in restoring my health (I had a morning urine ph of 5.5 and systemic candida albicans and mold affecting my liver).  Now, my body ph is back to neutral and I have energy and joy again.

Blessings,
Carrie
always a science experiment in my kitchen LOL !