livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 1491 New Revelations of the Americas BeforeColumbus

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: SALTMINES@aol.com
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: SALTMINES@aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 1491 New Revelations of the Americas BeforeColumbus
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 07:37:11 EDT

In a message dated 3/12/2007 9:56:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, minifarms2@yahoo.com writes:
The Maya Indians in Guatemala has the mathmatical 0 before the Egyptians, I have read.  The had the 0 and counted in units of 20.

Used raised beds for planting crops. Study the Floating Gardens of Mexico City and the gardens in Lake Titicaca some of  which have been restored.

Ken Hargesheimer

Hi Ken,

Of raised beds, one half of my property is five acres of Muskegon River Valley, (read swamp).  I have been blessed with the top five arable acres and am working to restore them to a productive state.

But I guess I'm greedy because I keep thinking of the Chiampas and how I could reclaim some of that rich, black soil in the swamp for growing. It is out of the question to make  raised beds 300 feet long as the Indians did (I don't have a nation of unlimited manpower at my beck, just these two hands) but am considering a small clearing or two and heaping of the muck/soil onto them to experiment.

An incentive for me to get into it is several veneer grade trees that might be harvested to help fund the project and gain an easier entrance to the area.

Was wondering if you (or anyone here) has experience with this sort of thing?

Stephen (Western Michigan)