livingontheland - [Livingontheland] 1491 New Revelations of the Americas

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Zachary Domikez <zdomike@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] 1491 New Revelations of the Americas
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:33:52 -0700 (PDT)

One positive aspect of the aboriginal manipulations of
agriculture was the South American terra preta,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta

I believe that was a slash-and-burn agriculture that
was timed to burn just before the dowsing tropical
rains converted the flaming timbers into activated
charcoal. This Rhythm provides a rich organic soil
amendment, especially for clayey soils.

On a positive note, I am using big trunks in a 55-gal
drum with a sealed tube back into the fireplace below
to homemake charcoal in quantities, and I hope it
improves this thick clay soil.

Regards,
zack

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

  • [Livingontheland] 1491 New Revelations of the Americas, Zachary Domikez, 03/13/2007