livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 1491 New Revelations of the Americas BeforeColumbus

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gloria Baikauskas <gcb49@flash.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 1491 New Revelations of the Americas BeforeColumbus
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:25:01 -0700 (PDT)

No, Barbara, that's not it.  I have an extreme interest in archealogy.  From time to time I find tidbits....or whole books.....research....that shows what really happened.

In the Oklahoma city I mentioned there is a time when the building stops and cemetary building becomes huge as people start dying in larger and larger numbers.  In that our history does not lie.  We were taught the "Indians" were devastated by diseases that no longer <in some cases> bothered European Americans.  It was easier to make them look like bums and such to justify our taking their land, and killing off even more of them in ' wars.'

The things I read offer no judgments.  Just facts....history as it is revealed in archealogical digs.

All of this is no different than archealogists uncovering the lava buried folks in Pompeii.

More and more archealogy is showing errors in the 'history' of our world.  From where people lived to how they got there....and more importantly when.

What makes history is important is what we can learn from it.

Science is doing the same. We were taught that blue eyes, brown eyes, etc, were decided by genetics.  Now science knows it is not the case.  When they did the human genome....and those of other animals...they discovered that genes were not as big a determining factor to what a being was <monkey, horse, pig, man> as proteins are.  We may be very similar to apes, for instance genetically, but we have so many hundreds of different proteins that make us dissimilar.  Does this mean we are not descended from apes?  <g>  No, let's not argue that here.  I am just saying it will take science a while to unravel the new facts that are taught in school.....after the old professors, etc, are convinced....and that may take some time.

Same is true in agricultural history.  The book I am reading, "Tending the Wild" deals mostly with California native peoples and their tending of the land, growing things...but it turns the going thoughts for caring best for the land and Nature on its ear because it says that man must interfere to stop the loss of plant and animal species....extinctions.  When man does not participate we cause more extinctions, erosion, and other problems.  A simplification.....but I hope you get the idea.  Much research went into this....and the professor found that these ideas are to be found in the ancient histories of all the native people she has studied....around the world.  It goes against modern farming practices as much as we do here when discussing the best way to garden/farm.

We got here somehow....to this point in history.  It was not by making more mistakes than having successes.  If ancient people did not know how to grow food properly, we wouldn't have made it this far.  It was when science got into the act with unnatural things <chemicals, that we started to have problems feeding ourselves.

These truths have been known for a long time....things like the more plant/organic matter in the soil the more moisture it will hold.....even in a drought.....that organically grown crops will handle temperature extremes better than chemically grown ones.    We have found terra prieta <sp?> in S. America that produces perpetually fertile soil.  We are still trying to duplicate it as well as the original.  All of this comes from archealogical research.  We don't have time for the politically correct version of history that we were taught.

Gloria