livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Veg. Garden Shade Cloth?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Wayne" <wa2yne@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Veg. Garden Shade Cloth?
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:37:23 -0600

I think it might depend in part on the variety of tomato, as well as the night temperatures.
In Hughson, near Modesto California, we got temps over 100 many days, and even more that were over 90. But it would cool some at night. Most of the varieties of tomato We had growing set plenty of fruit.
These included ones called Celebrity, seemingly determinate, but often grew` a second crop, A variety of large cherry tomato that I brought from NY with me (once set fruit grew till frost or freeze did too much damage), some grape tomatoes, as well as two types of heirloom yellow tomatoes. One of the yellows did fair in fruiting, the other grew few fruit, but plenty of plant and blossoms.
I might try those here, if I can find where I put the seeds and if they'll germinate enough.
One was Golden Queen, set a fair amount, but not as much as the Celebrities, and the other was Stetsons Yellow, which grew huge delicious tomatoes, but so few of them. Plenty of plant though.
May need to do some shade cloth, not easy with the wind here, but I'll need to fence the garden well anyway to keep the critters out. I can fasten shade cloth to the top of the fence, and some down the sunward sides.
I did grow tomatoes in Rochester NY in an area that got only 1/2 a days real sunlight due to the trees. And cukes do great in partial shade...
Here we get temps well over 100 a good part of the year. Already getting some 80's.
YMMV

Wayne WA2YNE
www.desert-rat.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Hargesheimer" <minifarms2@yahoo.com>