livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Veg. Garden Shade Cloth?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: jgoettemoeller@hotmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Veg. Garden Shade Cloth?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:08:37 -0800 (PST)

When the air temperature is 90 and over no fruit will set.  When the temperature is below that the fruit will set.  You might check TX A & M University website or USDA, etc for more info.

I believe that stevia is a crop that most small farmers can grow and will be very profitable.  If you want more info, email me or I can post it here on the listserve.  Jeff Goettemoeller  is the expert.  I just learned he is now in the business.  www.prairieoakspublishing.com  has info on it.  Diabetics can use it for sweeting,even for cooking.  No calories so use to loose weight.  Makes a good house plant.  To sweeten your coffee, just drop in a leaf.  The powder is 300 times sweeter than sugar.

A couple years ago I emailed all the diabetic doctors and hospital units in Lubbock.  Not one had ever heard of stevia.  It is a plant from Uruguay.  Indians there have sweetened their Máte with it for centuries.

Ken Hargesheimer