livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Intensive Gardening

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Living on the Land" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Intensive Gardening
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:49:09 -0600

Time grows short for garden planning, and it's clear I have too much to learn, given the time.  I've been studying Rodale's Getting the Most from Your Garden, and wondering if anyone has developed succession charts for our Central Texas climate.  Given that it is a multi-dimensional problem, it begs for a computerized planner.  Anyone ever hear of a computerized intensive vegetable garden planner?  Anyone willing to design one in their spare time?

It seems to me that this is one case where technology could be used to great advantage to "jump start" a lot of people who are intimidated by the complexities of high-yield gardening.  Yes, I know it's not "necessary", but in this age of instant gratification, it might just get some gardening going that wouldn't happen otherwise.  Also, the larger the operation, the more such a program would help.  It's like an accounting program: You can do your personal business in a checkbook, but even the smallest business is aided by a computerized system, allowing the entrepreneur more time to do what he or she needs to do.  and, it's a superior way to keep records of what you have done.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz