livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Why going organic could cost the earth

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: activism98201@verizon.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Why going organic could cost the earth
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:25:34 -0700

Organic is far from enough, by federal standards. Chickens can be organic
basically by avoiding feed that's on the prohibited list. They need free
range, room to roam in protected areas, a place to dig bugs and worms and
get wide variety in their diet. And even organically grown groceries can be
awful. They can have nutrients processed out for longer shelf life, be
trucked a couple thousand miles or ten thousand, or be grown in severely
depleted soil that qualifies as organic by not using chemicals on it for
three years. Duhh. That's China-Mart organic for ya.