livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] woodlot mgmt. or growing food...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mtncats <mtncats@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] woodlot mgmt. or growing food...
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:14:54 -0800 (PST)

Hi Norma,

Quartersawing is no stranger here, even if (usually) I have to teach the sawyer.  Depends on whether I want any, or think I have a customer for some.  The primary difference isn't waste, but board width, raising sawing/handling costs a little.  Often, in my market, I can get more for wider boards than quartersawn.  Structurally, there's a world of difference.  Unfortunately, most lumber buyers here don't understand that.

Nothing replaces knowing ones local market.  Even the guys who do nothing but install hardwood floors here don't generally know the difference.  They think winter gaps are inevitable.  If they don't educate their customers, well, there isn't much demand.  That's something that's changed in the last 50 years.

Tom (in central Va)

Norma Sutton <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com> wrote:
If you are having it sawn into boards, but quarter sawn sells for the most, but it also wastes the most lumber too.
Norma