livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Peak Oil references FYI

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Peak Oil references FYI
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:23:39 -0700

This is not to start debate or endorse a particular writer, just to list
sources for those who may want more on the subject or simply want to cut
down use of nonrenewables to live more sustainably on the land. There are
as many opinions as people on this subject. However, it is my hope that at
least some individuals and communities will relearn small-scale, non-fossil
fuel, local food production to better cope with future uncertainties.
--------------

Eating Fossil Fuels, geologist Dale Allen Pfeiffer
http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/100303_eating_oil.html

Association For The Study Of Peak Oil
http://www.peakoil.net/

Book: Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World
Economy, Matt Simmons - Energy Banker
http://www.twilightinthedesert.com/

The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight, Thom Hartmann
http://www.thomhartmann.com/last.shtml

Life After the Oil Crash
http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

Post Carbon Institute
http://www.postcarbon.org/

Jay Hanson website
http://dieoff.org/

Book: Powerdown: Options and Actions for a Post-Carbon World, Heinberg
http://www.richardheinberg.com/endorsements/powerdown

Book: The Party's Over: Oil, War and The Fate of Industrial Societies New
Revised 2nd Edition, 2005 , Heinberg
http://www.richardheinberg.com/endorsements/thepartysover

Book: The Coming Oil Crisis, Dr. Colin Campbell, 1997
http://www.oilcrisis.com/library/cccrisis.htm

The End of Cheap Oil, in Scientific American 1998.
http://www.oilcrisis.com/sciam983.htm

US Army Corps of Engineers and Peak Oil
In a report from US Army Corps of Engineers we can read the following
statement:
“Peak oil is at hand with low availability growth for the next 5 to 10
years. Once worldwide petroleum production peaks, geopolitics and market
economics will result in even more significant price increases and security
risks. To guess where this is all going to take us is would be too
speculative. Oil wars are certainly not out of the question.”
http://www.peakoil.net/Articles2005/Westervelt_EnergyTrends__TN.pdf

"By some estimates, there will be an average of two-percent annual growth
in global oil demand over the years ahead, along with, conservatively, a
three-percent natural decline in production from existing reserves.That
means by 2010 we will need on the order of anadditional 50 million barrels
a day."
Dick Cheney, in a 1999 speech he gave while still CEO of Halliburton
http://www.peakoil.net/Publications/Cheney_PeakOil_FCD.pdf

The Empty Tank: Oil, Gas, Hot Air, and the Coming Financial Catastrophem,
Jeremy Leggett
http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/world/article.jsp?content=20060213_12119
7_121197

A March 2005 report prepared for the US Department of Energy confirmed dire
warnings of the investment banking community. Entitled "The Mitigation of
the Peaking of World Oil Production," the report observed:

"Without timely mitigation, world supply/demand balance will be
achieved through massive demand destruction (shortages), accompanied by
huge oil price increases, both of which would create a long period of
significant economic hardship worldwide. Waiting until world conventional
oil production peaks before initiating crash program mitigation leaves the
world with a significant liquid fuel deficit for two decades or longer.
"The problems associated with world oil production peaking will not be
temporary, and past 'energy crisis' experience will provide relatively
little guidance. The challenge of oil peaking deserves immediate, serious
attention, if risks are to be fully understood and mitigation begun on a
timely basis. . . the world has never faced a problem like this. Without
massive mitigation more than a decade before the fact, the problem will be
pervasive and will not be temporary. Previous energy transitions were
gradual and evolutionary. Oil peaking will be abrupt and revolutionary."
http://www.peakoil.net/USDOE.html

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

"What humanity is doing now in a single lifetime (to our planet) will
impoverish our descendents for virtually all time to come."
-- biologist E. O. Wilson

  • [Livingontheland] Peak Oil references FYI, TradingPostPaul, 02/18/2007