livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] woodlot mgmt. or growing food...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] woodlot mgmt. or growing food...
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:34:14 -0500

and a lot of loggers leave a serious mess in their
wake. one way i've gotten firewood (to sell, or use
here at home) is by cutting the "tops" the loggers
have left. one place i was cutting had well over a
hundred cord of wood *left* lying around after the
loggers. and a lot of that was not "tops" but whole
logs that just didn't grade as nice lumber, so they
got left. ~bobby g

Another possibility for the "slash" left by logging operations: Cut it up enough to get most of it in contact with the ground, using a chain saw lubricated with "mycospored oil" rather than regular bar oil--the oil carries a load of mushroom spore with every cut of the saw. Your harvest of edible mushrooms is more dependent on the weather this way (than when you cultivate shiitake in logs you manage more intensively, for example), but you reap where you (almost) didn't sow.

Paul Stamets' Fungi Perfecti in Washington state
http://fungi.com/
is a good source of for the myco-oils (several species and mixes available).

And Stamets' MYCELIUM RUNNING is a great guide to this and other creative strategies using mushrooms.

I've used myco-oil with oyster mushroom spore in some thinning of weed trees in my own woods, will continue doing so in the coming year. I'll try to remember to report if/when we get a harvest.

~Harvey in northern Va
http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Home.html