livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] grains was Re: Popular Misconceptions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] grains was Re: Popular Misconceptions
  • Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 08:37:22 -0700

"get someone from the city who wants out and doesnt' already have all the
bad established commercial conventional habits to fight." Maybe it's the
only way to bring change. We do love our toys, don't we. I read about those
special planters they rig at home for mechanical planting through cover
crops, and I ask myself, why don't they tell us what they cost and what
kind of profits (if any) they end up with? Then I see where they got some
SARE grant or other government (taxpayer) grant. And they call it
sustainable farming.

I understand about thinking in rows. I have to fight that myself with
permanent beds. I tend to agree about hands-on apprenticeship. I'd like to
see more of the trendy organic farm internships try intensive no-till. Long
ago I figured out that a lot of people can read and follow directions, and
agree with it completely, but still see no connection to what they're doing
in their own lives. Like living their lives in various airtight
compartments. I'll stop there ;-)