livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Popular Misconceptions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Popular Misconceptions
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 17:16:11 -0800

paul wrote,
Yet I've read the typical farmer's return on investment today is about 2%.
You get a better return on a savings account.

I agree about the need to spread intensive organic no-till and rebuild soil, but ....

I've heard that grocery stores net only 2 percent profit. Most things I do make no profit, and in fact "cost," and I don't really take ROI (in terms of dollars, that is) into account when I decide to do anything that I can think of. Perhaps I'm an outlier, though.

In any case, I think the way to make farming appealing to the next generation is to promote the positive aspects of the lifestyle, harken back to Jeffersonian democracy and the agrarian ideal (need background music here). I'd guess that anyone who cares about ROI wouldn't be interested in farming anyway.

Oh, and outlaw land speculation so that those of us who don't care mostly about profit and ROI can afford to buy land.