livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of the soil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: shu chan <livfoods@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of the soil
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:58:14 -0800 (PST)

Paul,

Sunflower lettuce is grown just like wheatgrass. Soak
sunnies (oil or stripe) in water in a jar overnight.
Put fiberglas window screen over jar opening holding
tight with a rubber band. Next morning dump soak
water, rinse twice through the day, tipping upside
down to drain. Next morning plant in cafeteria tray
with soil mix level with sides of tray, just laying on
top of soil. Make the sunnies touch each other, but
not on top of each other. Moisten soil mix well. Any
container suitable for planting is okay. Cover with
another tray and store out of sun and as soon as the
sunnies lift the upper tray uncover and start watering
daily until about 6"-8" tall. Cut and eat. Much more
nutritious than the seeds.

Dwayne