livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of the soil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Dieter Brand" <dbrand@mail.telepac.pt>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of the soil
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:22:03 -0000

In the northern hemisphere it is once again time get out the water hose from the garden shed. And I’m again trying to think of ways for improving the water-retention properties of the soil in order to reduce the need for irrigation. So far I have tried the following:

- Compost for improving soil structure and increasing the organic component of the soil.

- Mulch for protecting the soil and preventing moisture from evaporating.

- No-till cultivation for maintaining the organic web (including the mycorrhizal relationship) intact.

However, I’m still trying to find other methods for improving the water-retention properties. In particular, I’m wondering:

- are there any plants that have the ability to store water?

- which crops need little or no water?

- how can I make use of night-time air humidity?

- should I cut cover crops for use as mulch at the start of the dry season, or is it best to let it grow until it withers of its own?

I very much appreciate input on any of the above or on any other ideas for improving the soil and saving water.

Regards, Dieter Brand, Portugal