livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of the soil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of the soil
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:06:41 -0700

Well, Dieter, good to have someone from Portugal. I hear they grow some
fine wine grapes. Here's something I wrote that should shed some light. I'm
not an expert so I do a lot of researching.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net
-------------------------------------

Optimum spacing, intensive interplanting increases overall yields,
reduces
moisture loss, losses to pests & weeds, & keeps all bed areas producing all
season.

Intensive planting techniques are those intended to maximize yields
of a
given planting area over the growing season. Besides increasing production,
intensive gardening can save time, space, energy, fertilizer and water.
Intensive techniques can solve drainage problems, enable use of
inhospitable sites, minimize soil compaction, *eliminate the need for power
equipment* and extend the length of the growing season. Intensive growing
techniques also transfer well to raised beds or containers adapted to
disabled gardeners. Careful planning is essential for successful intensive
gardening, which relies on high yield practices such as wide-row planting,
staggered planting, succession planting, interplanting and growing upward.
Anna Carr in her Companion Planting for Gardeners defines multicropping,
succession planting, sequential planting, interplanting, and companion
planting.
Multiple cropping describes forms of cropping in which several crops
are
grown simultaneously, or sole crops are grown in sequence, or a combination
of sole and mixed crops are grown in sequence. Multiple cropping for food
production is widespread in the developing world because it allows farmers
to have a low but steady production. Multiple cropping can help feed the
growing population by intensifying production per unit area of existing and
potentially arable land... Yields of multiple-cropped plots have been more
than twice that of sole-cropped plots under similar management. Other
advantages of multiple cropping include increased water use efficiency,
increased nitrogen use efficiency, and better weed control when compared to
sole cropping.
The second most important element in an intensive organic garden is a
close planting pattern. Close planting shades the soil, keeping it cooler
and moister for good root growth, and discourages the growth of weeds.
Instead of planting in rows, use triangular or hexagonal spacing to
maximize the number of plants that can be fit into the bed. Make use of
those rounded edges. Also, consider intercropping. Carrots, for instance,
can be planted in the spaces between lettuce. The lettuce will shade the
soil and keep it moist, allowing for easier germination of the carrot
seedlings. Then, when the lettuce is harvested for the season, the carrots
will grow up and fill the space. Through intercropping, two or more crops
can grow in the same area of bed in a single season.
Agronomists use the term "intercropping" to describe the spatial
arrangements of companion planting systems. Intercropping systems range
from mixed intercropping to large-scale strip intercropping. Mixed
intercropping is commonly seen in traditional gardens where two or more
crops are grown together without a distinct row formation. Strip
intercropping is designed with two or more crops grown together in distinct
rows to allow for mechanical crop production.Agronomists use the term
"intercropping" to describe the spatial arrangements of companion planting
systems. Intercropping systems range from mixed intercropping to
large-scale strip intercropping. Mixed intercropping is commonly seen in
traditional gardens where two or more crops are grown together without a
distinct row formation. Strip intercropping is designed with two or more
crops grown together in distinct rows to allow for mechanical crop
production.
Relaying is another common practice, consisting of overlapping
plantings
of one type of crop. The new planting is made before the old one is
removed. For instance, sweet corn may be planted at 2-week intervals for a
continuous harvest. This requires some care, though; crops planted very
early are likely to get a slower start because of low temperatures.
Long-season (slow-maturing) and short-season (quick-maturing) plants
like
carrots and radishes, respectively, can be planted at the same time. The
radishes are harvested before they begin to crowd the carrots. An example
of combining growth patterns is planting smaller plants close to larger
plants, (radishes at the base of beans or broccoli). Shade tolerant species
like lettuce, spinach, and celery may be planted in the shadow of taller
crops. Heavy feeders, such as cabbage family crops, should be mixed with
less gluttonous plants. Root, leaf, and soil-building crops (legumes) may
be mixed to take advantage of available nutrients.
Eliot Coleman in The New Organic Grower explains that transplanting
rather
than direct seeding works with intensive planting for efficiency and weed
control. He offers a transplant chart for spacing and time from seeding
and charts showing growth and protection periods for major and minor
vegetable crops. Intensive spacing guides are also included in High-Yield
Gardening and Getting the Most From Your Garden, both Rodale Press.
"For centuries, many Native American tribes throughout North America
have
cultivated corn, beans, and squash. The term "Three Sisters" was primarily
used by the Iroquois who live in the Northeastern United States and
Canada... This ancient style of companion planting has played a key role in
the survival of all people in North America. Grown together these crops are
able to thrive and provide high-yield, high-quality crops with a minimal
environmental impact. Corn, beans, and squash have a unique symbiotic
relationship in a Native American garden. Corn offers a structure for the
beans to climb. The beans, in turn, help to replenish the soil with
nutrients. And the large leaves of squash and pumpkin vines provide living
mulch that conserves water and provides weed control...
"The dynamic trio known as the Three Sisters not only thrive when
they are
planted together, they offer a well- balanced, nutritious meal. Over the
centuries, many plant varieties and gardening styles were developed for
each major climatic region. The Wampanoag (Northeast and South), Hidatsa
(Plains), and Zuni waffle garden (Southwest) offer a range of gardening
styles to accommodate most growing conditions found in North America.
"Corn, beans, and squash have a unique symbiotic relationship in a
Native
American garden. Corn offers a structure for the beans to climb. The beans,
in turn, help to replenish the soil with nutrients. And the large leaves of
squash and pumpkin vines provide living mulch that conserves water and
provides weed control. This ancient style of companion planting has played
a key role in the survival of all people in North America. Grown together
these crops are able to thrive and provide high-yield, high-quality crops
with a minimal environmental impact."
(Companion Planting: Basic Concept and Resources, ATTRA)
Biointensive techniques can make possible a 200-500% increase in
caloric
production per unit of area, a major increase in soil fertility while
productivity increases and resource use decreases, a 50+% reduction in the
amount of purchased organic fertilizer, a 99% reduction in the amount of
energy and a 67-88% reduction in the amount of water required per unit of
production, and a 100+% increase in income per unit of area. (Biointensive
for Russia)
"Of course, farms and ranches can also be too small to be sustainable
-
they can't generate enough income, can’t take care of the land, nor
provide a good place to live. But, farmers who rely on “alternative”
farming methods - reduce input costs, market in the niches, build
relationships, etc. - can generate more net income with fewer acres of land
and fewer dollars invested. An intensively managed sustainable farm may
generate fifty cents, or more, in net farm income for each dollar of sales.
Thus, a farm with $100,000 in sales can generate $50,000 in net farm
income and a farm classified by USDA as “non-commercial” may add
$25,000 or more to farm household income." (Professor John Ikerd in Small
Farm Today Magazine, September-October, 2003)
Biointensive mini-farming techniques make it possible to grow food
using
99 percent less energy in all forms - human and mechanical, 66 percent to
88 percent less water, and 50 percent to 100 percent less fertilizer,
compared to commercial agriculture. They also produce two to six times more
food and build the soil. (Jeavons)
Biointensive Mini-Agriculture allows people to feed themselves on a
local
basis that provides total community food security and is a proven food
production system that is ecologically sound, economically viable and
socially responsible. (Ken Hargesheimer)

---------------
SOURCES

-- Intensive planting techniques
http://extension.unh.edu/Pubs/HGPubs/intvegar.pdf
-- Terms defined (Companion Planting for Gardeners, Anna Carr p.7)
-- Multiple cropping
http://www.css.cornell.edu/courses/190/abstr/reid3.htm
-- The second most important element
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1257.html
-- Relaying
http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/mg/vegetable/intensive.html
-- Interplanting, also known as intercropping
http://www.clemson.edu/fairfield/local/mark/intensgard.htm
-- Agronomists use the term "intercropping"
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/complant.html#options
-- How transplanting rather than direct seeding works with intensive
planting for efficiency and weed control (Coleman, New Organic Grower p.
125) transplant chart for spacing and time from seeding (p.126) charts
showing growth and protection periods for major and minor vegetable crops
(p. 37-38)
-- Long-season (slow-maturing) and short-season (quick-maturing) plants
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-335/426-335.html#L3
-- intercropping may reduce yields of individual varieties, but increase
overall yield (High-Yield Gardening 136)
-- George Kuepper in Companion Planting: Basic Concept and Resources.
Generally, companion planting is thought of as a small-scale gardening
practice. However, in this discussion the term is applied in its broadest
sense to include applications to commercial horticultural and agronomic
crops. http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/complant.html#traditional
-- George Kuepper in Companion Planting: Basic Concept and Resources,
ATTRA, http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/complant.html#options
-- Biointensive http://biointensiveforrussia.igc.org/docs/695companion.pdf
and http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC42/Jeavons.htm
-- John Ikerd