livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of the soil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of the soil
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:13:44 -0600

What you wrote about here (interplanting and succession planting), is one of the most enticing avenues of gardening I've encountered.  Yet I find the planning and organization intimidating, in part because my Central Texas environment is so hot, alkaline and (sometimes) dry, while all the books on the subject are written for more benign climates.  Is there one of the references you used that you would particularly recommend to get me jump-started?  I've ordered Jeavon's latest edition, but I haven't read any of Coleman's books, wondering if techniques developed in Maine would be of any use here.

I realize that the techniques and vegetable varieties can be adapted, but I don't, as yet, have that expertise.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz