livingontheland - [Livingontheland] 6000 Pounds of food from 1/10 acre WAS What MEN said ('80) about more food in lessspace

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Sharon Gordon" <gordonse@one.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] 6000 Pounds of food from 1/10 acre WAS What MEN said ('80) about more food in lessspace
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:06:13 -0500

> I was very encouraged by some of my successes and by the recent Bioneers
conference where one of the speakers had been talking about how one family
of 5 was actually mostly living off 1/10th of an acre. Apparently they ate
about 80% of their total groceries from the garden and the rest they sold at
a local farmers market to get the food that they were not able to raise
themselves.

Another great resource for growing a lot of your food in a small space is
the Dervaes family. They grow a little over 6000 pounds a year on 1/10 acre
around their house.
http://www.pathtofreedom.com
They have some other great projects too such as poultry, small goats, wood
fire oven, solar overn, graywater, bicycle powered appliances and more.

Sharon
gordonse@one.net