livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Organic classes in Arkansas

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Organic classes in Arkansas
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 12:16:26 -0700

Now here's a course I'd take if I didn't live so far away, and look at the
guy's credentials ... and the price.

From:
Calvin and Doris Bey
Harmony Gardens 13361 Forest Hills Dr. Fayetteville, AR 72704
cfbey1936@...

Dear Friends:

This is an early alert! Last year I had 60 people take the Organic
Gardening Course and I have had a lot of interest expressed this summer and
fall. I already have a list of 25 that want to take the course.
Consequently, I have set up an identical course at 4 separate locations. To
reduce travel costs for participants, I am doing the entire course in one
day. It will be full day.

The announcement applies to those who have not the course. If the courses
do not fill, I will accept those former students who want a refresher
course. Costs for the refresher will be $10.00. Get on the list as soon as
possible.

I will also be doing an advanced 3-hour course for previous students to
concentrate on:
Understanding BRIX readings (nutrient--dense produce),
Fertilizers based on Reams ratios and adjustments for AR Soil analyses
(all new)
"Minerals for the Genetic Code" new book, (all new)
Costs for this session will be $10.00. Dates and times later...probably Jan
and Feb

I will accept reservations for the courses anytime. If something happens
and you need to attend a different course, cancel, etc. I am sure we can
make we can make those changes later.

Please feel free to pass this information on to others.... Calvin

Biological/Organic Gardening and More

# 1 - Sat. Jan 27,07, 8:00am-5:00pm, Fayetteville, Ozark Electric
Coop
# 2 - Sat. Feb 3,07, 8:00am-5:00pm, Fayetteville, Ozark Electric Coop
# 3 - Sat. Feb 17,07, 8:00am-5:00pm, Bella Vista, Art Guild Studio
# 4 - Sat. Mar 3,07, 8:00am-5:00pm, Eureka Springs, Blue Spring Heritage
Center
There will also be a garden demonstration at Harmony Gardens (Beys) in
mid-March.

Detailed locations for each course will be provided later.
Registration: Each of the 4 courses covers the same material, and each is
limited to 25 people. Pre-registration is required. The cost is $55.00 per
person, and includes the gardening book How to Grow More Vegetables by John
Jeavons. If you have the book, deduct $20.00. For couples, who want to
share a book, the course cost is $90.00. You can register by sending a
check for registration to Calvin Bey, 13361 Forest Hills Dr., Fayetteville,
AR 72704. When you register, please provide course no., name, address,
telephone number, and email. Call Calvin at 527-6951, or email at
cfbey1936@..., for more specific information.

The course includes concepts and practices on how to establish and maintain
your garden, with emphasis on growing nutrient-dense vegetables. The
concepts apply equally to flowers and yards. Course material is well
documented, but also includes practical tips from gardening experience.
Topics include soils, soil testing, soil biology, selecting the garden
site, tools, double-digging, composting, plant spacing, fertilizing,
watering, companion planting, mulching, compost tea, green manure crops,
nitrogen fixing crops, winter cover crops, pest management, weeds,
paramagnetic effects, and organic gardening resources.

Who Should Attend: The course is for beginning gardeners and those with
considerable gardening experience. It would be helpful (but not required)
for beginning gardeners, to read the book, before taking the class. There
will be time for questions, discussions, sharing of information, and a
visit to Calvin's garden in March. With individual soil test results,
Calvin will provide specific organic fertilization recommendations for you.

Instructor: Dr. Calvin Bey grew up on a farm in Michigan and is a retired
USDA Forest Service scientist, with a deep concern about health and
environmental issues. Over the past 50 years, he has gardened in ten
different geographic areas, and has trained under John Jeavons using the
Grow Biointensive (R) approach. He has attended Acres USA Conferences, and
has grown more than 40 kinds of vegetables and fruits in Fayetteville.

  • [Livingontheland] Organic classes in Arkansas, TradingPostPaul, 10/29/2006