livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] What MEN said ('80) about more food in less space

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Wayne" <wa2yne@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What MEN said ('80) about more food in less space
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 02:34:18 -0500

My house is on about 0.331 acres, and I plan to try for the lots next to mine, which will give me about 0.662 acres.
I'm going by the assessment on mine.
A small part is going to be a goat pen, another area a chicken yard, and gardens in other spots.
But I need to keep water needed down, so only plan to grow what I can use or give away.
Where I used to live, I could grow quite a bit in a seemingly small garden.
Had tomatoes coming out of my ears, and grew 7 good sized canary melons in about a 7 by 7 foot spot one year.
Cucumbers can be grown on trellises, keeps em off the ground and requires less space.
Beans and peas the same. Even many melons can be grown this way, by rigging slings for them.
For those who have little or no ground space, there are always window boxes, pots and so on.
Tomatoes can be grown in a 5 gallon bucket, did that before.
Secret is adequate light, good soil, and proper watering..
Include judicious pruning in many cases.
Some of my garden will be partly shaded, sun gets really hot here.
I hope to grow plenty of salad stuff, once I get going. Am going to try late lettuce soon, it likes cooler weather.
I read some about using racks/shelves to grow more using less space. May try that. Gotta start collecting wire rack shelves from defunct reefers... Even oven racks can be used.
Will eventually take pictures of what I get set up here, and scan some from where I used to live, showing my 6 foot high tomato plants...
Much can be grown in any patch available, does not have to be all one spot.
You can even grow a few veggies in with the flowers.
YMMV

Wayne WA2YNE
www.desert-rat.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>