livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Bioneers/about more food in less space

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: firekeeper@netscape.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Bioneers/about more food in less space
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 16:02:28 -0500

It was one of the speakers at the Houston site, LaVern Williams, a local architect that has been trying to build green and alt-materials homes for decades.  So I don't think you would have guessed that he would have talked about it even if you had gone to the Texas site.  Really interesting man.  He had a very good break out about building and transforming your home to be livable under any conditions.  Around here we get hurricanes and it is not unlikely to lose power for weeks in the hottest part of the year so he was talking about positioning you home so as to capture breezes to cool your home even in +100 temps and harvest water for basic life functions. In other words to disaster proof your family and your home.  That also included the discussion about what you can grow in your yard if need arises, so he discussed one of his clients urban homesteads.

I have been through a number of hurricanes at this time but in the early 70's our home was under the eye of one called Celia.  Fortunately the coast was a great deal higher than that of lower Louisiana or the story would have been worse, but suffice it to say that we were stranded without potable water or electricity in our home for weeks. Fortunately we were positioned to take advantage of the bay breezes.  That summer and fall were incredibly hot but we faired better than any of our neighbors.  In fact we were one of the few that had light and cooking (Kerosene) and a home that was comfortable to live in while the town recovered.  It was after this that my mom re-instituted the kitchen garden, perhaps not wanting to live on FIMA rations ever again.

Yours, Pego

<<But I looked at the conference schedule and I'm stumped as to which speaker that might have been, >paul >>

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Bioneers/about more food in less space, firekeeper, 10/29/2006