livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] organic master gardener program?/ was Settingfruit in heat

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] organic master gardener program?/ was Settingfruit in heat
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:41:07 -0500

Organic and sustainable are the same thing in my mind and have nothing to do with corporate "organic" labels found in Wal-mart.

But unless we have something available to interested newbies, the extension agents (at least the ones I've talked to) will discourage organics. Something needs to be done about it. Mentoring programs in each community are greatly needed. I would have given up trying to grow in Alabama long ago except for the help of friends on the OGL list and the yahoo OHG homesteading list.

When I lived in New Mexico I was lucky enough to visit Sparrowhawk farm and got help from Beth Crowder. I saw her name in "Organic Magazine", looked her up in the phone book and she was gracious enough to allow me to visit though she didn't know me.

Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins