livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] what you eat is the most political thing you can do every day

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] what you eat is the most political thing you can do every day
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:43:22 -0500

Paul, my 17 yo's Eagle Scout project was to build a tool shed for an urban farm/community garden in Birmingham, Alabama. I was talking to one of the fellows running the urban farm portion about our failed farmer's market in our small town outside of Birmingham. He indicated that the reason why we had more clients than farmers was that you can't get many people to work in Alabama fields in August. It is a horrible time to have to be working, that's for certain. I love August in New Mexico. August in Alabama is downright hateful.

Finding locally grown here is nearly impossible unless I drive to the very expensive farmer's market in Birmingham.... 40 some miles away.

So we grow what we can for health reason, politics and environmental reasons.

Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins