livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] what you eat is the most political thing you can do every day

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] what you eat is the most political thing you can do every day
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:51:07 -0600

That has me thinking (smell wood burning?) - it would seem the key in AL
would be cutting down on labor intensive harvesting in the hottest part of
the summer. In the deep South they have the whole rest of the year to grow
and sell - right? Yes, August here is quite tolerable, cooler after monsoon
in July. But we have to live with the seasons too. We've found that they
can't provide decent tomatoes even at the renowned Santa Fe farmers market
(I don't call hydroponics from AZ decent). They don't set fruit in the heat
of the summer. The trick would be to have them set fruit before and after
the hottest weeks of summer, which means starting them in greenhouses
around March to be maturing in summer, then keeping them from colder nights
in Sept - Oct. Which is what we plan to do here next year. Between 50 and
80 degrees is about right for growth and setting fruit. Just that every
climate has its challenges.

--Henry David Thoreau