livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Notes from the field

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Claudia & Linda" <dragonhill2@netzero.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Notes from the field
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:14:43 -0500

We're planting peas, lettuces of several types, kale, collards, turnips,
mustard, radishes, carrots, beets, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and a late
planting of Yukon Gold potatoes. All the root crops will have a layer of
heavy mulch as it gets colder and we will use floating row covers over
everything as needed. We're hoping that by layering straw over the row
cover in case of really cold spells, we can keep the garden growing most of
the winter. Oklahoma seldom has prolonged cold--especially the past few
winters (tho' I'm expecting more cold this year). Just in case, I'm going
to make some cold frames--or maybe they're called hot boxes when you pile
manure around them to help keep tender plants warm.

On a note about the summer garden--I just dug some of my sweet potatoes and
they are huge! Bigger than I would like, actually because they loose a bit
of flavor when they get so big, but one potato makes a meal for four people.
Bake them with brown sugar and butter and they have plenty of flavor. Last
night I sliced one into very thin slices, fried it crisp in butter with a
sprinkling of brown sugar and cinnamon--sweet potato chips. What a treat!

Claudia