livingontheland - [Livingontheland] spinach/lettuce

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@dotnet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] spinach/lettuce
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:25:04 -0500

Food safety advocates are calling for stringent regulations, and they say a
single agency should be in charge of making sure all food is safe.
Ahhhyup....and if you have a single agency, they want to cut the budget back until you have a single person. Then they want all the spinach to go through a single inspection point...and you get exactly what we already have: vulnerability to contamination on a huge scale.
The same intellectuals who work very hard (and I don't blame them) to eliminate non-point source pollution because it is too hard to regulate, believe that the same logic applies to food safety. Unfortunately, we need exactly the opposite for economic, social, and security reasons.

Dan

  • [Livingontheland] spinach/lettuce, Dan Conine, 10/10/2006