livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Mounds

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Art Corbit" <art_c@cox.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Mounds
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 01:24:49 -0500

I'm going to try to post a picture and see if any of you have seen anything
like it before. Don't know if it will work or not but I'll try it. The round
things I have circled in the aerial photo is mounds that were built by early
man. This is just one small place but there are many more in that area. I
grew up in this area and used to find arrow heads on these mounds so I
assume they were some kind of early Indians. Once and a while we would also
find one of the old black flint stone axes. There are hundreds of these
mounds in about a 4 square mile area. They built these mounds to set their
hut or Tee Pee or whatever on so the floor would stay dry.

The area I have circled is about 3/4 of a mile North of where the Arkansas
River bottoms start. From what I have seen in that area and how it is
located I would say there were hundreds of people that lived here. I also
would say they were farmers. You can find a few arrows down in the river
bottoms but not in any kind of pattern so I figure they were lost hunting.
I found one of the mounds that evidently the person that lived on it made a
lot of the arrors. I found a lot of broken arrors and also some that had
been started but not finished. I also found several of the flint rocks they
used to make the arrors. From the outside they just looked like any old
round creek rock but if you break them open they were flint.

Now what I am wondering now is why are these people not still there. It
looks like they had everything they needed but yet they are completely gone
and the mounds are the only trace of them left. Something wiped these people
out and shouldn't something like that convince people to be a lot more
careful using what we have? I would think it would.

Art