livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More Than 60 Percent of U.S. in Drought

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "BirdWalk" <birdwalk@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More Than 60 Percent of U.S. in Drought
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 15:25:31 -0500

I can give an interesting observation. We replanted our grove in FL after
the really bad freeze about 1996. total devastation required bulldozing the
old trees out. We were on top of a hill and as rain approached from the
east the hot sand and resulting air current would halt the rain going over.
We could see the break at the bottom of the hill as rain hit that heat and
see rain resume once it crossed the road. Really helpful in that we had to
irrigate more the first summer until we established grass again - NOT

Just that micro climate gives a good example of the value of vegetation