livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More Than 60 Percent of U.S. in Drought

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Art Corbit" <art_c@cox.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More Than 60 Percent of U.S. in Drought
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 13:37:08 -0500

Well here our weather has changed a lot in the past 60 years. For one thing
we don't get nearly as much moisture in the fall and winter that we did in
times past. It got a lot colder in winter and there as a lot more snow. This
helped kill the bug crop for the next year and also stored more moisture in
the soil. There were a lot more timber that provided shade than we have now.
A little breeze would mix the cooler and warmer air and lower the over all
temp. Now right where we need the cooler temps the most (on our farm land)
is where it gets the hottest. If the nearest share tree is over a mile away
you are not very likely to get any cool air off it. All this hot air blowing
over the land dries the moisture out of the soil a lot quicker and a lot
deeper.

For one thing we used to have good loose rich soil and if you kept it tilled
up in summer it acted as insulation and kept the moisture from drying out
down to the roots of the plants. We don't have that now for the simple
reason the farmers have destroyed their soil with oil based fertilizers.
There hasn't been a single shovel full of manure of any kind put on our farm
land around here in the past 50 years.

Art