livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More Than 60 Percent of U.S. in Drought

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More Than 60 Percent of U.S. in Drought
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 12:02:40 -0600

You mention the geologic record, and that's a record as is the evidence of
agricultural societies through the centuries. An example closeby here is
the Chaco Culture, Mesa Verde, and hundreds of other ruins within a half
day's drive of us, where indigenous groups raised crops and some suddenly
vanished around 1300-1400. It's believed weather patterns changed in the
southwest and they had to move on. And many of them developed ingenious
methods of water conservation, food preservation, and plant selection.
Seems to me that's our challenge now.

--Henry David Thoreau