livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More Than 60 Percent of U.S. in Drought

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Art Corbit" <art_c@cox.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More Than 60 Percent of U.S. in Drought
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 11:30:55 -0500

Hi Paul,

Good article. I have a theory about the modern day droughts. When I was a
kid I never knew of my Dad ever loosing a crop to drought and we did not
water anything. Maybe a little on Mon's garden but not in Dads open fields.
I believe we didn't need to for the simple reason there was a lot more water
in the soil and pooled up around the area. That isn't the way it is now.
They have drained all the low places that held water and the soil is so hard
the rain can't soak into it. We also had a lot of patches of trees that were
usually around these low places that held water. This shade and water had to
cool the area at least a little. I have also seen land the water would stand
on almost all winter long. Ducks and Geese by the thousands would use these
waters and their droppings had to be good for the soil. The pools would dry
up in the spring and the farmers would go in and plow them up and plant
them. I have always believe if you would take care of your land and the area
around it you wouldn't need to water anything and you wouldn't loose
anything to drought. When I look at the farm land now and then remember it
as it was when I was a kid it doesn't even look like the same country.

Art