livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Where can you get comfrey?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Where can you get comfrey?
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 12:30:38 +0000

Harvey,

I have been trying to find a picture of this comfrey but haven't been able
to yet. If I have seen it before I didn't know what it was. It sounds like
something a person could grow in fence rows and use for compost. If you have
a link to a picture of it please post it.

Art

Yes, comfrey is great for planting along fences, hedgerows, as ground cover in the orchard, and other nooks and corners not needed for crops. (Just remember that, wherever you put it, it's going to pretty much be there from now on--you won't eradicate it from that spot without a fight.)

And yes, it's great for the compost heap, also for mulches, also for making a fertilizing herbal tea you can use to feed plantings, also for feeding livestock (my chickens like it, my geese *love* it)--and on and on. It is a tremendously useful plant.

Paul has already given a link for a pic. A Google of "comfrey picture" turned up dozens of picture links.

~Harvey
--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us