livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Where can you get comfrey?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Cheri Shelnutt <cshel4@adelphia.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Where can you get comfrey?
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:34:09 -0400

Comfrey is a wonderful plant - if I could only grow one medicinal herb it would be comfrey. I have been using herbs to treat my children and myself for 24 years and comfrey is so important to our health. It is the base of all of my medicinal salves. Comfrey contains a compound called alantoin - it causes cells to regenerate. The only caution I would use is make sure you clean your wound well - it will heal so quickly with comfrey that it will seal the dirt in if you aren't careful.

Comfrey tea is also very healing to the body - there is some controversy because someone decided to do a study and fed rats a diet of 80% comfrey - this caused liver problems in some of the rats - I have no problem drinking comfrey tea myself.... (it has been done safely for thousands of years).
Cheri