livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Soil Building

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Art Corbit" <art_c@cox.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Soil Building
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 11:22:29 -0500

Hi Laurie,

Your horse is doing exactly what a lot of us people are. We are eating a lot of food and pooping a lot. What causes that is the fact we are getting very little actual food value in the food we eat. The reason the seeds are passing on through the horse is it's digestive system is all out of whack from over eating. Humans do the very same. Horse manure is normally about as good as you can get as far as grass seeds are concerned. A horse will normally digest the seeds. This isn't true with a cow. I never liked to use Cow manure because of the seeds.

Here is what you are into. The minerals are way down in your pasture and probably any hay you buy. The horse eats the grass and all the manure isn't going back on the pasture where it came from. Any that you use on the garden slowly depletes the minerals in your pasture.

Early in the Spring you need to put Urea (Nitrogen 46-0-0) on your pasture. This will improve the food value in the grass your horse eats. Our bodies, and your horse's, is loaded with sensors that alert the brain to many different things concerning the human body our brains live in. When your energy level starts to drop these sensors pick this up and inform the brain which starts to demand you eat. This is the biggest reason so many people in this country are over weight. They are not getting what they should be from the food they eat. The only problem your horse has is over eating trying to stay healthy.

As for your compost operation it sounds like you are doing pretty good but you may need to remove the plastic and water the pile now and then.

Art