livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Soil Building

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Soil Building
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 10:49:48 -0600

Great! Composting what's on hand for next year is ideal if you can do it.
The wood chips will have the carbon or browns content, but they'll take
longer than one season to break down, even if you add plenty of nitrogen
material like grass clippings or green weeds in abundance. The humates
shouldn't be needed at all, esp with all the manure. Plastic cover can turn
the pile anaerobic and smelly if left on continually in mild weather, but
it might help keep it from hard freeze in winter. I'd hesitate to use
plastic at all. Traditional composting for quick results is the Indore
Method, alternating thin layers of greens, browns, and soil, to three feet
high, and turning with a spade fork as it begins to cool, moving the
undigested outside material to the inside to heat up again. The most
nutrient-conserving method of handling manure is pit composting.

I strongly recommend The Rodale Book of Composting
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=&title=Rodale+Book+of+Composting&su
bmit=Begin+search&new_used=*&destination=us&currency=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac
=qr
or Rodale Press' Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening, several editions. I
have shelves full of Rodale Press and a lot of back issues of OG&F, so I
can lay my hands on most anything along that line.

--Henry David Thoreau