livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 52, Issue 4

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 52, Issue 4
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 09:41:13 -0700 (PDT)

Allen,

You are doing it right in my opinion.  In Ruth Stout's video when she plants potatoes all she does is lift up the mulch, lay the potato on the ground and drop the mulch back over it.  When she harvests, the potatoes are on top of the ground.  Try this.

You dig them but the fact that you turn the soil to dig them up to me is unimportant.  That is not hurting anything in my opinion.  YOu are not suppose to walk in the beds because it compacts the soil but sometimes I walk in a bed. No big deal. None of us are perfect and none of us do things perfectly.

Rules are made to be broken.  Guide your work by the principles and you can go either way from perfect and still have good results.  Hang loose!  In my opinon, these are the rules:  be organic, no-till in permanent beds. You are there.

Ken
Message: 3