livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] hippie communes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: miranda@tagoresmith.com
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] hippie communes
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:58:10 -0500 (CDT)

Given that I was one of those "dirty hippies" involved in the commune
movement, I just had to jump into this conversation.

Please don't paint us with such a broad brush. Some of us worked hard and
created good market gardens. At one point, one farm where I lived supplied
most of the upscale restaurants in Stowe, Vermont, as well as a number of
food coops in the state and even wholesaled truckloads of cool weather
vegetables to points south.

We also developed some innovative organic systems and tools.

And yes, there were the slackers, but there were also the workers.

Best,

Miranda Smith