livingontheland - [Livingontheland] on topic/ hippie communes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] on topic/ hippie communes
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:30:40 -0600

Well, Jason, we all want to make the best use of this list, so whatever you
want to see discussed, bring it to our attention. As to what's on topic,
I'd appreciate your leaving that to the listowner. That's me. Understand,
most of us are more concerned with a variety of problems, not all the same
problems. And it's all tied in with living on the land. I'm not going to
criticize a random off topic comment thrown in at the end of a useful post.
We're just human beings.

Specifically, that "back to the land" fad of the '70s was a bust (in more
ways than one). For the most part they were spoiled, clueless city kids
allergic to manual labor - the ones I saw ("come the revolution we won't
need money"???). We stress that working the land, making the best use of it
and caring for it, is work. Yep, there's that four-letter word - WORK. I
happen to agree the family is the basic unit (I won't define family) and
community is necessary. But communes are nonsense, or they'd be working
just fine all over the place.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about
it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933