livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Alternative fuels on the farm

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Gwen Giffen" <ggiffen@1st.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Alternative fuels on the farm
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 06:46:23 -0400

"How do you get tofu from a goat? I think it would be easier to just
raise some soybeans. I've read that butter is pretty hard to make from
goat milk. I read recently that a motto in Europe is "cows for butter,
goats for milk, and sheep for cheese."
Uriel / SW Missouri"

Sorry, I seem to have a lot more to say than usual today...

I've never heard that saying, but I like it. But,...I have made butter from the cream of goat's milk, and it is just as easy as with cow's milk once you have the cream. You just have to wait a little longer for the cream to separate, and goats don't make as much milk as cows; therefore you don't get as much cream. It also tastes a little different. But it isn't that difficult, really.

Now, I have never made tofu, but then I've never grown soybeans.

Gwen